See Recipe Below:
I ate these delish coconut bites of heaven on the Island of San Andres, Colombia More about San Andres . It’s about a 3 hour flight Northwest from Bogota. A lady walked the beach with the little coconut mounds on a tray that she balanced on her head. My husband, from the area, said his mother used to make these desserts all the time.
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- 2 1/2 cups of brown sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- Combine all the ingredients and bring to a boil on medium – high heat. Stir constantly for about 15-20 minutes.
- Test to see if the mixture is ready by dropping a little in cold water. If it’s ready, it will clump together.
- Scoop out small mounds on waxed paper and allow to cool.
I recommend wrapping them in plastic so they remain fresh and chewy. Also, you can add any ingredients like dates, raisins, dried mango or pineapple.
2 thoughts on “Colombian Coconut Dessert”
I am so trying this, this weekend! Sounds delicious.
LikeLiked by 2 people
No way! Wow. That’s great! Let me know how it turns out!